Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Art of Procrastination

Procrastination. I'm getting very good at it. I sit down at the computer with the best of intentions. I have units to plan, lessons to create, research to complete.

But, first, let me just check my e-mail. Oh, someone new is following me in Twitter. Who is this person? One little click. This new person posted a blog. Let me read it and see if I want to follow her. Hmmm. I look at the clock. 10 minutes have gone by. And all I have done is decided not to follow someone new.

Okay, back to work. But, first, did I finish checking e-mail? Oh look. DEN has a new blog post. Steve has added new favorite links. Let me just check this out. 20 minutes later.

Back to... oh wait...did I check Twitter yet? First to replies. That should speed things up. I'll just see if anyone is talking directly to me. Two new conversations to add to. Now let me take a quick look at the posts that are just on the first page. But this conversation links back to a prior page. A little more clicking, some links to follow, new blogs to read, new applications to play with and.... one hour gone.

I know. I won't go online. I'll just open my bookbag and pull out my plan book. Things look good. I need to...oh, right...a note to myself. "Check to see if mixbook has an embed code." If it does, I can use it for our revamped Cinderella stories. The children are changing the setting, adding incredible language, and publishing the new versions. So, does mixbook have an embed code? Let's see. Open a browser and...wait, I see my name in the twitter messages. What is this conversation? Let me just....

Back to mixbook. It does have an embed code. I can use it. Let me just email Christine (my co-teacher) to tell her the good news. And, while I'm at it, maybe my twitter friends would like to know that too.

So, you see, I really do try to get my planning done. My computer life just keeps getting in the way. I think now it's time to go work on that social studies unit. I just have to finish editing this blog post....

11 comments:

bcrosby said...

LOL - just like me! And every week I swear to do planning first AND THEN get involved with network. Yeah, uh huh! Let me know when you've figured it out ... PLEASE!!!!

Brian

Anonymous said...

We're like the kids... the stuff online IS just so much more interesting than school work!

Ric Murry said...

I think you are on to something important as to how we learn and connect ourselves with information. How can we allow this to happen with our students? I'll have to get back to you. I have other things I'm doing. Ooohhh, Twitter is calling. Later.

Liana said...

OMG THIS IS MY LIFE! I seriously have 13 tabs up right now. Twitter is first and a bunch of blogs, etc., follow. And I am supposed to be organizing my files to prepare for taxes. And baking a cake. And doing laundry. But here I sit reading and learning and making iphoto books!

Mrs. V. said...

I am soooo glad to hear someone else having the same issues...but at least you stopped the madness and blogged! My poor blog is sitting un-posted since December- how sad is that! OK gotta go- my son has given me a time limit on my laptop tonight;)
tansmom

Lisa Parisi said...

Brian, thanks for the distraction once again.

Alice, the more I do online, the more I behave like my students (or are they behaving more like me?).

Ric, this is why I haven't introduced live chats in my classroom. I can't imagine 5th graders (or high schoolers, for that matter) multitasking. I can't.

Liana, Gotta love those tabs. After reading through past twits, I usually have about 10 opened to new things I have to read or try.

Tansmom, Sorry for your laptop time limit. We actually have three computers for three people so everyone gets their own. It is hard to get us all off at one time. Might not be such a good idea to have one for each of us. ;)

And, to all of you, thanks, once again, for giving me a reason to avoid my work. :)

Kate Olson said...

Feel your pain! Have 4 windows with about 20 total tabs open, twhirl, and am supposed to be: planning for tomorrow, emailing my family, planning a PD course, looking into online grade program..........oh yeah, and living a life and taking care of my family. I'm loving it though, and although twitter is distracting, I've met SO many wonderful people.

Tracey McGrath said...

I can totally relate to this post. I reluctantly started using twitter and building a network a little over a month ago. I am amazed how much it has affected both my professional and personal life. I have gotten so many great ideas to use in my classroom. I am constantly seeking more any chance I get! (Here I am at 10:20pm, commenting on blogs) I can only hope that some of my enthusiasm for exploring, using twitter and trying emerging technology spreads to some of my staff members. I would personally like to thank you for sharing your ideas. I have shared some of your class projects with my kids and they are looking forward to creating their own. We are starting with Classblogmeister. It's nice to be able to give them a visual goal!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, Yes- I always think that I am not being productive on the computer when, in fact, I am being productive it is just not as tangible as say painting the bathroom. Even it is checking twitter or e-mail, you are getting things done- You have actually inspired me to blog about this topic- there, that's something tangible!

Brad
bradmdav.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Must finish planning. Must stop looking at new blog themes (hours gone I tell you!). Must stop checking twitter and email every 5 minutes. Must stop saying to myself "I'll just check/write/see if..." Must go outside and exercise.

Must.drag. self. away. finish. planning. start. planning!

I know how you feel...
Jess

technoLOTE
The Rise of Reflection

Anonymous said...

I am sure tha I am the queen of procrastination!! My desk looks like a forest, my laptop looks like a forest and brain is still walking through the forest of all this great online material. However, my students are loving it all too, and we are e-connected!!