Monday, June 30, 2008

First Impressions of NECC

Here it is Monday morning and I’d like to tell you my first impressions of NECC.

First you should know that I was not here on Saturday. I spent Saturday in various airports trying to get here. But that’s a whole other story. So my first day was Sunday which I spent at Gary Stager’s Constructivist Consortium.
It was at the Consortium that I met my first twitter friends. I’m not sure what was more exciting – learning how to use Frames and creating ideas for next year’s class, or sitting with online friends while learning. Personally, I think it was the latter. I did, however, leave right after lunch to head back to the hotel to see if my luggage had arrived.


This lead to my second impression. I had to get back to the airport to actually pick up my luggage if I wanted to change my clothes. So Christine and I sent out twitter messages asking if anyone with a car would be willing to do this for us. Two people came through. One, Sandy, is someone who follows me. I have never even spoken to her before. And she volunteered. Isn’t that amazing? The other, Derrall Garrison, was at the Constructivist Consortium that morning and came to the rescue. I was impressed with, not only the power of the network, but also the kindness of virtual strangers. Thank you, Derrall.

And, last, the people. I have met and talked with some of the best minds out there. I spent my day feeling a bit star struck as I met, chatted with, a snapped a picture of each one. (I would love to add the pictures here but I left my card reader home.) It is so amazing, also, to be able to have a conversation about 21st Century education with people who know what I am talking about, agree with what I am saying, and can contribute something of their own to the conversation. I am among people from which I can learn. And that is a wonderful thing.

By the way, today will be the first day I actually attend a NECC session. Looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa
I hope you keep posting your reflections from the conference for those of us not there.
I appreciate it.
(And hope you got yer clothes OK)
Kevin

Stephanie Sandifer said...

Lisa,

It was great meeting you yesterday and I agree about the power of meeting face-to-face and being able to talk with people who understand! I feel like my brain is on a cognitive energy drink during the conversations that I've had with people over the past couple of days -- it's wonderful!

I hope we run into each other again over the next few days :)

Stephanie

loonyhiker said...

Thanks for writing about this! I wish I was there and I can't wait to see the pictures. I'm glad your twitter friends came through for you! I found out that my twitter network was amazing while we were traveling across country.