Saturday, August 20, 2022

Why I Became a Teacher

A common question among educators, usually used as an ice breaker, is this: Which teacher made you want to become a teacher and why? Typically that answer leads to stories about amazing teachers who were encouraging and exciting.  The person who gives the answer often even still keeps in touch with that educator.  Everyone listening smiles, nods, and walks away with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

A chalkboard with writing

When I am asked that same question, the answer isn't quite as easy to answer.  I didn't become a teacher because of that one special teacher I had.  I became a teacher because of the bad teachers I had (and some good).  I swore I would create a classroom where no child would have to go through what I did in school.  So here are some lessons I learned from all those teachers.

Sad boy sitting at desk with shadow of teacher behind him

Lesson One: When a child returns to class, from a pull-out or an illness, welcome them back in and help them reacclimate to the situation.

This one comes right from nursery school.  I went to a cooperative nursery school.  We had two teachers, one of whom was Miss Helen.  Miss Helen was my pull-out teacher.  She worked with me each day on reading.  I wasn't a remedial reader.  I was an advanced reader.  So, each day, while the rest of the children did ... I don't know what they did...I went into a small room with Miss Helen and we read books.  I loved working with her and felt proud to be a reader.  

But, when we were done, I was returned to the general classroom confused and lost.  Miss Helen just dropped me off at the door and left.  And the classroom teacher ignored me walking in.  So, at 3 and 4 years old, I was left to figure things out for myself.  It made me feel uncomfortable and not a part of the class.

Please, educators, help children come back into your classroom.  It takes just a minute or two, but is invaluable for the child.

Cartoon children playing with toys

Lesson Two: Welcome EVERY child into your classroom!

After nursery school, I went to public school.  I was put into kindergarten, where the teacher decided very quickly that I didn't belong there.  After what I assume was testing and meetings with my parents and other staff, it was decided that I should skip kindergarten and move right into first grade. 

In October, I was moved into Ms. Onsrude's class. She was an older, near retirement, teacher who made it very clear from the onset that she did not believe I belonged in her classroom.  I was, as she told the class often, "just a baby." She said it when I got an answer wrong.  She said it when I was caught "playing" with my imaginary friends. She said it when I was tired and wanted to rest after recess.  She allowed the other children to bully me, just the way she did.

Please, please, please accept every child into your classroom.  We all have children we struggle to love, the ones who are never absent, the ones who wreak havoc wherever they go.  They need to be accepted too. Fake it, but make them feel wanted and loved.

Phone with image of baby

Lesson Three: Make a Community in Your Classroom

Second grade brought me into Ms. Pinkiss' class.  She was my favorite teacher.  She was a hippy - long, red hair, long flowing skirts, love and peace all over.  She created a community.  I wasn't aware enough at aged 6 to figure out how she did that.  But I came into her room with many of my first grade classmates.  I was bullied all through first grade so these children just kept things going.  Ms. Pinkiss wouldn't allow it.  

I don't know what she did to stop it but I felt special and loved in her room.  And I know the rest of the children did as well. We had dance parties with Partridge Family records, accomplishment parties when we all finished a unit and did well, and we cheered each other on during games.  She created an amazing community that year.

Create a community. Make every child feel part of the community and take time to make it inclusive, kind, and fun.

Partridge Family album

Lesson Four: Laugh, laugh, laugh.

For fourth grade I had Miss Balkind.  She was a tough teacher.  Didn't accept any crap from anyone.  But every day, she laughed.  She laughed when we did something great.  She laughed when we messed up.  She laughed when we dropped all our books. She laughed when we got a compliment from another teacher.  She just spent her day laughing.  She had so much fun in the classroom that we laughed right along with her.  It didn't matter that she pushed and pushed and pushed us to do our best. We were having fun learning. And we learned to laugh at ourselves (ok, I'm still working on that).

Find the joy in the classroom. Laugh often and bring the children into the laughter.

Man rolling on floor laughing

Lesson Five: Each child should make at least a year's progress in a year's time.

Grade five was Mr. Capenegro.  I can't tell you much about him as a teacher.  I don't know if the other children liked him.  I only know that, at the beginning of the year, he told my parents that I already knew the fifth grade curriculum so it was okay with him if I sat in the back of the room and read all year.  

I can't tell you why my parents accepted that.  That's another story for another time.  What I can tell you is that I loved sitting and reading all day, every day.  But I learned absolutely nothing from the teacher that year.  I didn't do class projects with the others, unless I wanted to.  I didn't pay attention during lessons, unless I wanted to.  I didn't do homework, unless I wanted to. 

It was from this class, more than any other, that I started to develop my understanding of how to work with an advanced child. 

Never have a child in your class become the assistant teacher.  It is not their job to check everyone's work simply because they finished first.  Never let a child skip an assignment because they already know the material.  Challenge them with new ideas based off of what they already know. Give them a different, equally fun and engaging, assignment. Expect them to make progress, too.

Girl at school desk with lightbulb going off by her head

Lesson Six: Expect the most from your students.

Finally, high school. Mr. Boloker was my English teacher.  I first encountered him in 10th grade.  I loved his class, participated in the discussions, and got pushed in my thinking.  

But what he did that most impressed me was to give me a failing grade on my first paper. It was a report we were assigned for homework about a book we read in class.  I had participated in all the class discussions, read and loved the book, and went home to do the assignment.  But I did the assignment the way I had learned to do all my assignments - quickly and at the last minute.  Get it done fast.  I always got A's so why try harder?  Mr. Boloker knew better.  Maybe he read my file.  Maybe he learned more about me from class discussions.  But what he knew was the paper I wrote was less than I was capable of doing. 

So he failed me.  And told me to try again. He told me he expected the brilliance in my writing that he heard from my voice in class. 

I was pissed! No A?! "I'll show him!" I thought. So I went home and really worked on that paper.  I included quotes from the book.  I made connections to other stories we had read.  I dug deep and wrote my very first well-written essay.  I got an A, took as many classes as I could with him, and continued to work to my full potential.

Learn who your students are and what they are capable of doing.  Then expect that brilliance every single time!

Book report paper with F- on it

Why did you become a teacher?  What did you learn from your teachers about how to teach?

Scrabble pieces that read TEACH


 

1 comment:

Wicked Stepmom said...

Loved every word and its context! Love of children and learning.